@THECOTBOISE

@treefortfest

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Beach House + the Egyptian= Super Awesomeness

Indie band, Beach House, came to the Egyptian Theatre Friday night and tore everybody a new one.  I decided to leave the DSLR at home in order to test out the camera on my new iPhone 5 (yes, now I think I am better than you:).  I have attached some pics along with an epic encore video from the show. In addition I have included some observations from the show.
Observation:  Opening band Poor Moon is very talented, but definitely not going on my next "pump me up work out mix."  With the band consisting of some members of Fleet Foxes, that should be a given.
Observation: The Egyptian is such a rad place to see a concert.  This was a perfect place to see a band like Beach House, who have out-grown smaller venues like the Neurolux and are too cool to be seen at The Knitting Factory.  The atmosphere brings back childhood memories of seeing movies with the family and I would assume makes for a memorable place for the artists to perform.
Observation: Lighting and visual effects make a huge difference.  I have a hard time sitting through shows these days if the band doesn't have some form of high tech lighting going on during their set.  I am not talking pyrotechnics at a Whitesnake concert, but after after seeing shows with the good stuff, it is hard to go back to just some plain old spotlights.  Side Note:  I was hoping for more out of those four big boxes behind the band with the fans in them.  Still, the show had a pretty sweet setup.
Observation:  Beach House sounds amazing live.  The Baltimore band is definitely a band that can match the sound quality of their live show with their albums.  Vocalist Victoria Legrand's distinct vocals were always on point and complimented perfectly by co-founder Alex Scally's catchy guitar riffs.  The band bounced back and forth between break out album "Teen Dream" and newer critically acclaimed album "Bloom."
Observation:  Victoria Legrand can wail.  I've always been a fan of her voice because I thought it was original.  However, Legrand is not limited to raspy ethereal sounds.  During the track "Real Love," a song that had never really stood out to me, Legrand hit some notes that were ridiculously impressive.  During the encore I recorded a video and I was pretty sure my new phone was going to explode.
Observation: The iphone takes pretty decent video.  What really impressed me was the sound quality.  This was the first video I've taken with it so I didn't know how to focus at first with the change in lighting.  The video below is from the encore performance of "Irene."

No comments:

Post a Comment